Old 21-04-2012, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_4_] Baz[_4_] is offline

Default Re-starting a vegetable plot.

wrote in :

In article ,
kay wrote:

My garden gets flooded to a depth of 6 inches several times a year, for
about 24 hours at a time, but all my fruit trees and bushes are fine,
despite what they say about apples not liking soggy ground.

Few plants object to being flooded for short periods - what actually
harms them is the lack of oxygen over an extended period. Some are
harmed because wet conditions help some bacteria and fungi, which
they can't handle. And there might be other reasons, but all are
associated with staying wet rather than just getting wet. Even
cacti etc. can be soaked without harm, provided that they then dry
dry out reasonably promptly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I really hope most of that is true. Not knocking you, Nick. I will beleive
it whan I see it. All time moralle is low.