Old 22-04-2012, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Asparagus

PhoenixWench wrote:
I have three little purple spears showing too - not quite ready to pick,
but so cute in their purple pride ;-)

sprouts are usually cute. like babies.
at least until they eat something they
shouldn't. or as a plant, spread someplace
where they aren't wanted.

I've been having to water everything daily, as we have had only a light
sprinkle of rain in the past month, and the red flags for fire danger
are all over the Catskill region.

On the plus side, the daily visits with the hose let me admire the tiny
spinach, kale, beet and radish sprouts that all survived that last hard
frost ;-)
If the weather continues as nicely as it has been I'm going to have a
longer than usual growing season - I just hope we get some rain soon or
my poor apple trees are not going to produce. The first blossoms have
already appeared, but nothing like the usual display - maybe they are
holding out for rain?

i hope the recent rains are making it over that
ways? they have been well appreciated here. everything
grows so much better with a good rain and it saves
me doing it. especially any clay gardens i might be
trying to keep at weeding.

one thing nice about having a longer spring season
before planting is that i have had more time to get
out and weed some areas before they put on heavy
overgrowth so i won't have to walk on any of it
again until when i selectively harvest or trim it
back (to feed the worms and to feed the plants with
their own leaves/stems). it looks nicer in bloom
when i don't have to walk on it.

i hope your apple tree comes along well.

songbird