Old 22-04-2012, 08:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Figs 'n ice cream

Farm1 wrote:
songbird wrote:
Farm1 wrote:
My figs are ripe. Not enough to make jam or do anything substantial with
this main crop, but enough to enjoy fresh figs and ice cream. Delish.

i've never even seen a fresh fig before.
fig newton cookies are the only way i've
ever had them.

Well I have no idea what a 'fig newton' might be so I guess we are both in
the dark about some thing figgy.

haha, (i thought i answered this one already but
i don't see a reply posted, so if i repeat myself
that is why ).

it's fig filling inside a sort of crumbly outer
vanilla cookie. yet another mass extruded product
of some mad genius. now they come in many flavors.
i do not buy many cookies these days (we bake them
by the hundreds), but once in a while for something
different we'll get some of these. they come in
many flavors and are sold at the dollar stores
by the slab. we prefer the plain or original
flavor as at least that has some resemblance to
reality (or so we hope ).

what are they like?
how would you eat one?

That is a hard question but I'll try to answer. Fresh figs are much softer
and squishier than dried figs - about as soft as a ripe avocado. They have
a fig flavour but not as strong as dried figs. They have lots of the tiny
seeds but the seeds aren't as noticeable as in they are in the dried figs.

that sounds similar to a kiwi or strawberry.
i don't find the seeds in fig filling to be
bothersome. i do dislike seeds in raspberry
or blackberry jams, but seedless in either of
those is not common.

To me they are a real luxury food because it is almost impossible to buy
ripe figs since they don't travel well. You can eat then fresh just as you
would any fruit, you can eat them with a mild cheese on a fruit platter
along with a scattering of fresh dates, you can make them into jam (and fig
jam is one of THE best jams IMO). As to trying to describe the flavour of
than it being figgy, I can't give yo a clue because it is in a class of its
owm. We ate our fresh ones jsut sliced and on top of vanilla ice cream.

i'm just scouting for my possible wishlist
someday fruit tree space that i keep ignoring
because i don't really want yet more projects
do i really like no, i don't, but fig filling
would be really good and ... ohnoes!

it sounds great and i hope some day to try
a fresh fig.

flowers doing ok, lack of rain means i've done a
little watering i normally wouldn't do, and frosts
have knocked down some of the earlier daffodils and
tulips, but the rest are looking better now and it
should be ok for a week. no heavy frosts in the
forecast. i might be able to get some decent pictures
if i can get out today.

Sounds quite promising for a good Spring for you.

the weather is gradually getting warmer and the
frosts/freezes not quite so harsh. still i won't
be setting out any expensive plants for another
month.

the wind shredded quite a few flowers. frost
got some more, but there are still some for the
photo gallery. a good reason to plant extra.
and we had someone come by and pick a few dozen
and Ma has given hundreds away to another friend.

i'm getting a lot of weeding done this year with
it being dry to the point where the clay was cracking.
recent rains have fixed that. i'll keep at it as
it looks nice and i like having fewer weed seeds
in the harvested green manure.

strawberries are blooming a lot more now. even
the wild plants are loaded with blooms.

rest of seedlings ok for the most part. still
looking forwards to seeing the chard poke up and
have already had a friend say they would take any
extra. it is nice to be loved.

whereabouts are you (roughly )? how cold does it
usually get there at the worst and is it for long?

South Eastern NSW and it gets cold from late April to about the beginning of
October..

sounds like you have a bit warmer and longer
season by about a month.

here
in mid-michigan it gets down to maybe -5 - -20F and
that might last a few weeks or a month some years. the
past few seasons have been quite mild.

Here it can gets down to about -9C and that will freeze the pipes. It
regulalry gets downt o -4C over winter. Not cold by your standards, but
cold by Oz standards.

frozen pipes are no fun...

what did you plant this season and how did it go?

songbird