Old 22-04-2012, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Ventnor Botanic Gardens

In article , lid
says...

On 21/04/2012 14:39, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In , Jeff Layman

Er, no. I can see his posts. What is happening to VBG is of interest,
but AFAICS it was an information post not requiring a reply.

"Puya raimondii is semi-carnivorous and is a plant with real attitude,
having evolved sharp, reflexed spines which entrap lamas at its base! In
the mountains, nutrient is in short supply but the rotting bodies
provide it among the impoverished boulders. "

I wondered about that. Seems a bit fanciful, but perhaps could be true
for baby llamas or other small animals. See final sentence he
http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redl...sectionThreats

Having seen a different puya I could well imagine the spiky foliage
could entrap fleecy animals; just as I've seen sheep unable to escape
because their fleece is caught fast on brambles here in the UK. But it
doesn't necessarily imply the plants are carnivorous :-)

Janet