Old 22-04-2012, 12:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline

Default best purple (grape) colored annual for sun and heat?

You indicated that you a looking for a plant for the summer in a spot
that will be quite warm. Here in my part of southern California,
snapdragons are strictly a winter flower. They do not survive the heat
of summer. While your winter is likely too cold for snapdragons, your
summer is probably as warm as mine. Forget them.

Huh. My Mom, who lives near here in Ohio, has always had great luck
with her snapdragons. They have loads of flowers early, then the
flowers seem to die back a bit in the heat of summer, but the plants
stay green and decent looking. Then as September and October roll
around, the plants have loads of flowers again. Sometimes the flowers
last through November, so she gets about 2.5 to 3 months of flowering
off of them. If she covers them with straw, they often make it through
the winter, too.