Old 22-04-2012, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Composting: Cat Manure

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 22:05:30 -0400, little turtle wrote:

On 3/1/2012 9:02 PM, Dick Adams wrote:
Is there any reason not to put cat manure in a compost bin?

Dick

I wouldn't but you can compost anything.
Wife's Aunt lost her eyesight working her little flower garden.
Neighbors cats had used it for a litter box. Despite washing hands she
got a horrible infection from brushing her hair away from her eyes or
something.
She didn't use gloves of course.
I have forgotten the details except that cat poo had a very bad pathogen
in it. It's ot just tht or those cats but most cats.

I remember being cautioned against pregnant women cleaning cat boxes
or otherwise handling the litter. I do not remember what the pathogen
is.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills