Old 21-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default leak behind biofalls, fish sucked in, skimmer door not working properly - anyone else?

Poor Baby! The AS system has some inherent problems. Not wishing to go into
a tirade, I'll simply address your questions.

a. It's very common to have it leak between the box and the weir. And
you're correct: more silicone will do the trick. However, rather than take
it off and start over, shut off the water, dry the area completely (maybe
use a hair dryer, but be CAREFUL), or let the sun bake it for awhile, but
you want it very dry. Then apply a bead of silicone over the seam, take your
finger, and squish it down inside the seam as best you can. Wipe off any
excess: algae will not grow silicone, so you will always see the seam,
otherwise. Wait until it's dry before you turn the pump back on.

b. The door on the skimmer is really not necessary at all. If it really
annoys you, just take it off.

c. Little fish WILL get into the skimmer box, partly because they're
chasing food (by the time it gets into the skimmer box, it's pretty soft and
they can eat it easier; also, the larger fish can't get in there to get the
food, so the little guys can eat without the competition; not to mention
it's a nice, dark hidey-hole). If your kit is like mine, you should have
received a wire-framed net that fits into the the skimmer side, and a couple
of white open-celled padding. That will keep the little guys from getting
sucked into the pump. They can usually get out when they want to G.

Hope this helps.

Lee

"Judy Konopka" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Hi,

I just put in an Aquascape system. I did everything correctly, but now

found
I have a leak behind the liner from the biofalls lip. I guess I'll have to
remove the fake rock (weir) and resilicone it.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?

Also, the holes that are suppose to hold the skimmer door in aren't
parallel, therefore the door doesn't stay put. Has anyone else had this
problem? What do you do about the little fish that get sucked into the
skimmer?

I paid a lot of money for this and hopefully these problems will get
straightened out. Unfortunately, I bought it mailorder from NY (I live in
CT).

I'm very discouraged, and am so tired. I just want relax by the pond

instead
of worrying about it!