Old 23-04-2012, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default ants coming out of the mint pot

"john east" wrote in message
Recently bought a mint plant from a supermarket and have been growing it a
pot on the kitchen window sill. The other week we put it in a bigger pot,
but now have a lot of ants coming out of it.

Have just submerged the pot in a large jug of water. Will this do the
trick? If so how long will it have to soak? Or is there a better way?
thanks.

John nobody has mentioned that the Ants like dry. The drier the better. On
my compost heaps, the dry areas always attract Ants, so I keep them well
watered and turned and attract worms by the million.

If you look at the first of the following pictures, you will see 4 square
pots, two either side of the path at each end. If you look at the nearest
square pot, the Lavender is a candidate for the Sick Bay or compost heap. On
examination, it was discovered that even though it was watered, there were
dry areas and the Ants had gone to town on the earth/compost in there.

Plant taken out. Roots washed out. Pot had boiling water in it and on it.
Plant re-potted

:-))

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=UVMQGRGA

Mike