Old 23-04-2012, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plum tree dead at top?

On 22/04/2012 22:21, Dave Hill wrote:
On Apr 22, 7:27 pm, wrote:
I planted a dwarf Victoria plum tree stock last year.

It seems to have done quite well and it is currently flowering.

Problem is there seems to be no activity at all at the top foot of the
approximately 6 foot tree stock. The shoot activity at the top foot or so of
the tree seemed to die a few weeks after planting and it has not recovered.

It's as if the top foot of the tree is dead wood.

Should I prune this off or should I leave it? The tree otherwise seems to be
doing well. I was surprised by how many white flowers it produced.

It's strange but few of us have achieved reincarnation with dead
plants.
If the top is dead then cut it off, but make the cut into dead wood,
not live.
If in doubt scratch the bark, if it's gree under the surface it's live
and if brown dead.

Dave, I'm with Spider on this one. The cut must be into healthy wood,
and then if considered necessary (although I don't bother) covered with
a wound sealant. If you cut only into dead wood, and there is dieback
present, it will still spread to the healthy wood. A month or two and
you'll be back in the same position, but with a bit more of the plant dead.

--

Jeff