Old 23-04-2012, 07:36 PM
allen73 allen73 is offline
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbushmonkey View Post
Hi guys,

this is my first post so I thought I would say a bit about myself, my names Karl, im a 22 year old Tree Surgeon from Cambridge who has a passion for bonsai trees.

These trees are around 7 years old which I have grown from seed, they are still in their training pots however I will get them in bonsai pots next year.

http://i54.tinypic.com/jrr9qr.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2rxxy1i.jpg

I hope these work.
It is quite easy to recognize a Brassavola among other orchids. If you see a white flower with green colored, elongated and narrow sepals and petals it should be a Brassavola. The tips of the three upper sepals and two lateral petals are forming a pentagonal pattern or a star-shaped configuration. And if it spread a pleasant citrus smell at night, it is definitely a Brassavola orchid. No doubt.

Brassavola is named to honor a famous Italian physician and botanist, Antonio Musa Brassavola. This orchid is a genus that includes about 20 species, and has a close relation with the Cattleya family. The majority of Brassavola are epiphytes while some are lithophytes.

It is native to the tropical region of central and southern part of America including the Caribbean islands. “Lady of the night” is referred to Brassavola nodosa due to its intense fragrant at night. Some records show that Brassavola nodosa was the first orchid that has been successfully brought to and cultivated in Holland.
Fruit Trees