Old 24-04-2012, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Passiion flower leaf damaged by desease/pest

In article , says...

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Do be aware that Passiflora are not totally hardy and you will lose it in
cold winters, either protect or replace (-9c seems to be about the tipping
point although it does depend a lot on where you have it planted)

I grow one that can take -30 :-) However, what it absolutely cannot
take is wet roots in winter, which rather constrains where it can be
grown, and it is herbaceous. P. incarnata, of course.

My experience of P. caerulea is very much the same as Charlie's, from
a very different area. It did fairly well, but was cut back by every
serious winter, and eventually the main plant died. I could have
carried on with its suckers, but it wasn't worth it.

I had a p. caerulea in a previous garden (north of Glasgow, cold and
wet) which in a cold winter ( more minus than 17) would die back to ground
level; but spring back up from underground the following year. Its roots
were under a big sandstone slab at the doorstep which probably saved its
life. It was still there and thriving last time I looked, must be well
over a quarter century old by now .

Janet