Old 24-04-2012, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_3_] Bob Hobden[_3_] is offline

Default Planting garlic now?

"Christina Websell" wrote
Is it worth it? Will they grow and clove up?
My aunt has an Indian gardener and he prefers to plant hers in November.
My local Indian shopkeeper says the same, that garlic does not like hot
weather.
The packet of three I just got said "can be planted in autumn or spring"
I did plant some once in my garden, in spring. They did grow but only into
bulbs, like a large spring onion and didn't split into cloves.

Seeing as you have bought some why not plant it and see, you will get
something.
Personally I plant in late September or October so that by now they have
good thick stems and at any sign of sun and warmth will romp away, when I
have planted in spring the results have been poor with small cloves on small
heads but I've never got just one large clove.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.