Old 25-04-2012, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Growing a natural hedge - help required

On Apr 24, 10:53*am, rfcalan
wrote:
Hi all.

I have recently gone through the pain of having to cut back and down
large amounts of overgrown bushes and trees in my garden from a house I
have just purchased. *This has now left my garden overlooked, but on the
upside has let large amounts of light in.

I have left the tree posts in the ground so I can run wire between them
in several lines (a bit like a vineyard) and I would like to grow a
natural hedge along the wires so it ends up creating my natural hedge.

I am not sure what I can use that will not only wrap itself around the
wire and grow but also fill out.

I want to cut the tops of the hedge down each year to keep the height
correct and not let it get out of control but at the same time I don't
want to have something that is going to produce lovely flowers in spring
/ summer then die away leaving nothing in winter.

Please can you provide some suggestions what I can use?

I will be doing this on three sides of the garden so I don't have to use
the same plant and the same colour, I can have three different colours
on the three sides.

Clematis is an obvious choice for colour but dies off in winter.

I need green leaves for winter for depth and colour in the spring and
summer.

The three sides of the garden will be in sun nearly all day.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards

Alan

--
rfcalan

Hedge species by and large will grow again from the stumps. You wil
get lots of "rods". Let them grow up about six or eight feet and then
lay or have laid the hedge. Takes two orthree years to grow this
height.

This is the normal way of reviving a native hedge that has grown up
too high.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedge_laying