Old 25-04-2012, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_4_] Baz[_4_] is offline

Default Planting garlic now?

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Is it worth it? Will they grow and clove up?
My aunt has an Indian gardener and he prefers to plant hers in
November. My local Indian shopkeeper says the same, that garlic does
not like hot weather.
The packet of three I just got said "can be planted in autumn or
spring" I did plant some once in my garden, in spring. They did grow
but only into bulbs, like a large spring onion and didn't split into
cloves.

Tina

My OH/partner/enemys family are not native UK. They use garlic every day
and that suits me fine.
She always plants a 3m row, 3" apart(forgive the metric &imperial) in
autumn with lots of compost and growmore from shop bought garlic bulbs if
she has none of her own.

In spring she finds space in the garden and plants them where she can.
After the early broad beans have been harvested she will plant there too,
end of June usually.

Obviously this is a lot of garlic and because they are grown from shop
bought I always get rid of a row here and there if they in my way.

What I am skirting around is that any time is ok. The only one time when
the garlic was just like an onion was 2 years ago when I tried them from
seed, and they just went to seed in the end. Still used them.

My advice would be to rake in a good lot of blood fish and bone, firm up
the soil by walking on it, water the site and next day dib(yes dib) them
in.

Then wait until the foliage has died away, probably March 2013 now. I don't
know.

Baz