Old 25-04-2012, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Squalls buffeting my house!

On 25/04/2012 08:15, Jim xzy wrote:
During the night, I learned the true meaning of 'squall' and 'buffet'! The
violent squalls were buffeting the sides of my house all night long. Any
poor wretch outside would have been blown from pillar to post. I thought it
was Spring, but Winter seems to have returned with a vengeance!

The only problem I have was deciding whether to describe the sqalls as
contunuous or continual...

jim

Nah, Jim, you've got it all wrong: 'Squall' is what next door's baby
does all day long; buffet is delicious (usually) and not a subject for
complaint ;~).

Now, then (concentrates), I believe 'continuous' means
unending/unceasing/without pause; 'Continual' means ongoing but with
occasional periods of cessation.

For example, my marriage to RG is continuous; his moaning is continual ;~)!

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London