Old 26-04-2012, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default rhodie worries

Andrzej;957007 Wrote:

Should I get rid of the earth the root-ball is in? I'm not sure if the
plant is getting the benefits of the ericaceaous compost I replanted it
into... I replanted it into a big pot full of fresh compost but was
afraid to touch the roots at the time, so just put it in the pot as I
lifted it from the border, roots in a pot-shaped ball of earth it must
have been in from the start. A friend suggested I dunk the root ball
with the earth it is stuck in a bucket of water for a while then try
picking away at it, loosening it up. Or leave it as is?

Rhodies do poorly in containers and will eventually die. Plant
rhodies in the ground, in rich, deep, well drained forest soil, in
acid soil, in partial shade. Rhodies do best planted where conifers
flourish.