Old 26-04-2012, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_4_] Baz[_4_] is offline

Default Nuisance magpies

Moonraker wrote in :

This year, for the first time, here anyway, the magpies have learnt to
feed from the hanging feeders. As a result the fat balls get gobbled up
in a couple of hours, the peanuts don't take much longer. It really is
getting to the stage that unless I am willing to support the magpie
populations, I may as well stop feeding the birds, and I thought the
squirrels were a nuisance!

I know you say hanging feeders, but are there any branches or clotheslines
or similar for them to perch on? If there are then I would cut them off or
hang the feeder elsewhere. Magpies can't hover but can they put claws into
the netting? Just a thought.

You could also put a chicken wire cage over the haning feeder, a bit like a
bell. The small birds would get through but not a magpie.

Hope this helps.
Baz