Old 26-04-2012, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default best white/green and purple grape varieties for SW Ohio?

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
I'm planting 3 grape plants this spring. I've already planted a red
variety, and was wondering if anyone could suggest a white/green variety,
as well as a purple or dark blue variety. Basically, I'm wanting to do
the red, white and blue thing.

I'm interested in:

1) disease resistance
2) productivity
3) excellent flavor for fresh eating
4) early and mid season harvest (already have late covered with
the selection of Catawba)

My grandparents had a white grape that was very sweet with a pungent,
spicy flavor. I loved that, but they could never remember what it was. Of
course, it never produced a whole lot, so I suppose even if I knew what it
was, I shouldn't really consider it. :-(

The sweet/spicy grape may have bee gewürztraminer, a German wine grape. If
so, try the American hybrid Traminette. You'll probably get better answers
for grapes at www.winepress.us .
Steve