Old 27-04-2012, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Possible hybrid

Billy wrote:
Organic agriculture is about growing soil. For decades agricultural
zones have lost top soil because of the lack of microorganism in the
soil due to chemical fertilizers, whose excretions in the soil helps to
bind the soil together. Over application of chemical fertilizers, used
as crop insurance, results in the run-off of nutrients which end up
creating dead zones in the oceans, which could have been sources of food
for people. Large applications of organic materials (manure, lawn
clippings) to agricultural land (not counting CAFOs which have added
more animal waste than the land can carry) would have the same results,
but I haven't hear of this happening outside of large gardens. Perhaps
you can inform me as to where this happens.

from what i can tell, the past 40something years of
observation, topsoil losses here are from bare dirt
farming practices that leave fields empty to the wind
for 6 or more months at a time, erosion by rain, plowing
the fields right up to the edge of the ditch and the
idiots who burn ditches.

Think about this. I have to be away for a few days, and then I can
continue.

safe journeys.

We haven't even touched on GMO foods yet (the most used in
monocultures), and the fact that there have been no feeding trials with
them to ascertain health risks.

we are the feeding trial -- morbid obesity is the verdict.

songbird