Old 28-04-2012, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1[_3_] Farm1[_3_] is offline

Default Figs 'n ice cream

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
Doug Freyburger wrote:
Farm1 wrote:
"Doug Freyburger" wrote..

Vegitarian cheese is made using rennet from fig or pear sap.

Pear sap isn't something I've heard about before. Do you mean common
old
domestic fruiting pear?

I've seen photos of drawing a drop of sap where the pear is picked and
using that for the rennet. I can't tell what type of pear it was by my
memory of the photo. I think a common variety. The tree looked like
the ones that grew in the neighborhood where I was a kid.

That's interesting. Pears are a genus, whereas tomatoes are a species.
Good question Farm1.

I can't claim that it was as intentionally thought out as your description
would suggest :-))

I have however long been aware that many people use common names that don't
conjure up the same plant in my mind as they have in their mind. In the
flesh it's a lot easier to sort out these confusions but less so on
newsgroups.