Old 28-04-2012, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default cold (after all that early warmth) NE USA

Wrapped up the garden as best we can, predicted lows for tonight are 25F
(-4C), tomorrow 24, next night 24. Predicting 7 hours under 30 (-1C)
tonight.

Likely to be more of an issue than it might have been due to early
spring warmth - record highs in 3rd week of march.

Blossoms are on the plums & cherries - those are probably gone for this
year. Some apples out, some not - the ones that are not might make it.

Got my new mist nozzle setup (thinking about doing a propagator) kludged
up and hitting the blueberries, which are also in full flower. Hopefully
that will save them if it doesn't freeze up (running water, but also
fairly low flow...)

Been quite a while since I got the garden going early enough for the
"plant as soon as the soil can be worked" stuff to get seriously smacked
with a freeze rather than a frost. Peas, lettuce, carrots, spinach,
radishes are all up. Most have been covered in some way for the night.
Shallots are out under glass, and the glass has a packing quilt over it
for the night - they may be tougher than that, but this is the first
year I've tried them.

Looking forward to Monday night - 38F or 3C. Meanwhile, we'll have to
see what makes it, or not.

NW Mass USA USDA Zone 4 (5 if you believe optomists - or 6 if you go by
this year's low temp, though my bamboo does not believe that, evidently.)