Old 28-04-2012, 04:22 AM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural
Larry[_8_] Larry[_8_] is offline

Default Guess Who I Saw Today

In article ,
says...

The Africanized honey bees in the Western Hemisphere are of mixed
descent from 26 Tanzanian queen bees of A. m. scutellata, accidentally
released by a replacement bee-keeper in 1957 near Rio Claro, São Paulo,
in the southeast of Brazil, from hives operated by biologist Warwick E.
Kerr, who had interbred honey bees from Europe and southern Africa.

Like fire ants, they also only exist in the South. In my area there are a lot
of "wild" European honey bees. They took a real hit a decade ago from the
varroa mite, but have come back strong and are everywhere. Now it's the
bumblebees that are in trouble, but I am confident they will recover as soon
as the resistant population has a chance to multiply.