Old 28-04-2012, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Oak seedlings

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 15:55:53 +0000, karamonde
wrote:

John McGaw;957266 Wrote:

You actually plant acorns? Every Spring I spend many hours pulling out
literally hundreds of oaks which have sprouted from acorns which fell
and
lay unnoticed over the winter. My hosta beds look like some sort of
deciduous forest by May if I don't keep after them. They grow fast and
require no attention at all. Except for those which the squirrels eat
(and
I have hordes of squirrels on my property) I'd guess that half of the
acorns sprout and would quickly grow into a dense forest if given half a

chance. Of course, the oaks are nothing compared to the maples which
have
no rodents bothering to feed on them.

Advice to anyone wanting mighty oaks -- plant a couple of acorns in each

location where you want one. Wait a year or two and then cull the
extra(s).
Wait a few decades. No other attention should be required if your
climate
is suitable for oaks in the first place.

Well given that I am extremely fond of this particular tree I did decide
to plant some and see what happens. Turns out that watching things grow
is far far more enjoyable than I ever imagined.

I have also planted some english yew seeds: picked the berries, cleaned
them, stored them in the fridge for 2 months and then planted. Nothing
has happened yet though, I hear that yews are a bit moody and take their
time, they might sprout or they might not. Next year I think I'll just
collect more!

Unless it's a special variety that you can't find at a plant nursery
or you are growing a farm that you're leaving to your heirs planting
hardwood trees from seed is very silly, especially oak trees...
seedlings (1st 5 years) grow relatively fast, saplings (2nd 5 years)
slow down a lot, after that oak tree growth slows to a crawl... unless
you are rather young (teenager) you'll likely be very old or dead
before you will sit in its shade. I strongly suggest planting the
largest sapling you can afford... the typical 10 year old oak tree
sapling will be about 8'tall and 1 1/2" caliper... and you'll still
need to wait like thirty more years before you can sit in its shade.
Planting an acorn you lose ten years of growth and really gain
nothing... nurserys sell oak tree saplings for very cheap... and odds
are strong that the first winter critters will dig up and eat your
acorns, all of them.
http://trees.naturehills.com/search/...0trees&filters[status][0]=InStock