Old 29-04-2012, 08:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_3_] Farm1[_3_] is offline

Default Oak seedlings

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Farm1" wrote:

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
news
On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 15:55:53 +0000, karamonde
wrote:
John McGaw;957266 Wrote:

Advice to anyone wanting mighty oaks -- plant a couple of acorns in
each
location where you want one. Wait a year or two and then cull the
extra(s).
Wait a few decades. No other attention should be required if your
climate
is suitable for oaks in the first place.

Well given that I am extremely fond of this particular tree I did
decide
to plant some and see what happens. Turns out that watching things grow
is far far more enjoyable than I ever imagined.

I have also planted some english yew seeds: picked the berries, cleaned
them, stored them in the fridge for 2 months and then planted. Nothing
has happened yet though, I hear that yews are a bit moody and take
their
time, they might sprout or they might not. Next year I think I'll just
collect more!

Unless it's a special variety that you can't find at a plant nursery
or you are growing a farm that you're leaving to your heirs planting
hardwood trees from seed is very silly, especially oak trees...
seedlings (1st 5 years) grow relatively fast, saplings (2nd 5 years)
slow down a lot, after that oak tree growth slows to a crawl... unless
you are rather young (teenager) you'll likely be very old or dead
before you will sit in its shade.

I can sit in the shade of at least 2 of our oaks that are about 10 years
old. We couldn't get a big party sheltered but certainly we two can sit
in
their shade.

I strongly suggest planting the
largest sapling you can afford...

That advice is quite the reverse to my experience and that of most
gardeners
I know. Planting tube stock is far better in terms of producing quick
and
healthy growth.

In fact just recently in this ng there was advice given to someone about
planting a hedge. Those who I'd rate as better gardeners all told the
person to plant small plants rather than plants in '5 gallon' containers.

the typical 10 year old oak tree
sapling will be about 8'tall and 1 1/2" caliper...

Mine would be much bigger than that - more like 15 ft or even more.

and you'll still
need to wait like thirty more years before you can sit in its shade.
Planting an acorn you lose ten years of growth and really gain
nothing...

Sheldon that is just not so.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know
they shall never sit in."
- Greek

Actually I've seen that as being a Japanese poem (don't expect me to get the
lines right):
"A man truly understands the meaning of life when he plants a shade tree
under which he knows he will not sit."

aother I like is:
"The morning glory twines around the well bucket and so I lack water".