Old 29-04-2012, 01:26 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Tonkin[_2_] View Post
I've read several article that state you should not plant shop (as in
Supermarket/Greengrocer) bought garlic, as there is no guarantee where
it comes from and whether it will survive, so I was intrigued by Baz's
post!
If you want guaranteed results, go for a named variety bred for our conditions. Shop bought anything is pot luck, but that doesn't mean to say you shouldn't, provided you're happy to accept the occasional disappointment.

A lot of the accumulated wisdom in gardening has come from people growing to maximise yield. If your aim is to grow "some" or "enough" rather than "as much as is possible" you can push the boundaries quite a bit.