Old 29-04-2012, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Edible or not?

"Steve Peek" wrote in message

"David Farber" wrote in message
I found these mysterious things growing in my garden. The internet says
they're Morel mushrooms and they may be safe to eat. I would definitely
like a second opinion about that. I found this webpage with some
information about that.
http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/ou...shroom-hunting

And the photo of the ones in my garden is he
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite.../Mushrooms.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Those are indeed morels, but it would seem to be the wrong time of year
for them in CA. My hunting partners & I have picked over 2000 this year.
The ones you have are probably Morchella esculenta, although that name may
be in error as they are a European species. We are rapidly discovering
that many of the N. American fungi that were given European names are not
the same mushroom.

Also be aware that fungi can concentrate poisons, heavy metals in
particular. If your garden is treated heavily with chemicals, I wouldn't
advise eating them.