Old 30-04-2012, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default Compost from recycling

On 30/04/2012 11:08, Emery Davis wrote:
On 04/30/2012 09:46 AM, Granity wrote:
On last night's Country File during the usual green's propaganda piece
(about using peat causing global warming) that we have to endure each
week, they showed a plant for the recycling of garden and kitchen waste,
a laudable enterprise as it turns waste into a usable product and saves
it going into landfill.

But the bags of compost produced were blazoned with the term 'ORGANIC',
what I want to know is, since they can have no idea what went into the
rubbish in the way of say 'chemically fed' or sprayed plants how can
they make that claim?

I don't think they can. Perhaps organically produced?

I saw some of the piece, was flipping around. Decent looking compost,
anyway. Didn't notice the "organic" label. They mentioned "studies
they had done" showing that their stuff was even better than peat. I'd
be somewhat interested in looking at these.

I use peat, but I'll grant you those ex-bogs were pretty grim looking.
The part I watched didn't mention climate change, but destruction of
wetlands. A good reason to keep usage to the minimum required.

If it is as bad as they say, I believe it, then why does not the
government ban its use, as the alternative is as good. I suspect there
would not be enough though.