Old 30-04-2012, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Compost from recycling

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:18:15 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

On 30/04/2012 11:08, Emery Davis wrote:

I use peat, but I'll grant you those ex-bogs were pretty grim looking.
The part I watched didn't mention climate change, but destruction of
wetlands. A good reason to keep usage to the minimum required.

If it is as bad as they say, I believe it, then why does not the
government ban its use, as the alternative is as good. I suspect there
would not be enough though.

If you mean peat, then its use is being phased out. IIRC us ordinary
gardeners won't be able to get it from 2020 and commercial growers
from 2030. I've seen references to a campaign to stop any compost
containing peat being labelled organic because whilst peat is organic,
of course, it's production harms the environment. Many compost
suppliers to the commercial/public sectors who have a separate
"organic" product specify that it is also peat-free.

AFAIK, though, simply adding the term "organic" to a bag of compost
isn't illegal and doesn't necessarily mean anything as compost is
organic material. The word plus a logo of a certifying agency, such as
the Soil Association, is an indication that the product is organic in
the organic sense as it has passed tests. It is confusing!

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.