Old 30-04-2012, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Compost from recycling

In article , Granity.a140556
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

On last night's Country File during the usual green's propaganda piece
(about using peat causing global warming) that we have to endure each
week, they showed a plant for the recycling of garden and kitchen waste,
a laudable enterprise as it turns waste into a usable product and saves
it going into landfill.

But the bags of compost produced were blazoned with the term 'ORGANIC',
what I want to know is, since they can have no idea what went into the
rubbish in the way of say 'chemically fed' or sprayed plants how can
they make that claim?

From the company's FAQ

http://www.thegreenergardener.com/products/faqs.html

" Are your growing media approved by the Soil Association?

No. Unfortunately, the Soil Association have not approved a key
ingredient ? albeit used in tiny amounts ? because they regard its source
as being derived from a "non-ethical system of animal husbandry."
However, it is certainly organic in the scientific sense of the word (i.e.
of natural origin),"

Janet