Old 30-04-2012, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Compost from recycling

On 30/04/2012 12:59, Emery Davis wrote:
On 04/30/2012 12:32 PM, Jake wrote:
AFAIK, though, simply adding the term "organic" to a bag of compost
isn't illegal and doesn't necessarily mean anything as compost is
organic material. The word plus a logo of a certifying agency, such as
the Soil Association, is an indication that the product is organic in
the organic sense as it has passed tests. It is confusing!

Yes, I think you've put a finger on it, Jake.

Indeed. The Henry Doublespeak organisation has a lot to answer for.

I am all for minimum inputs growing, but this public obsession with all
natural chemicals being somehow "good" and synthetic ones "bad" is a
serious problem. Ricin is perfectly natural and incredibly lethal.

Brand "Organic(TM)" denotes overpackaged and overpriced food for the
worried well to buy in supermarkets.

And so long as the Irish (and now also the Germans after shutting down
their nuclear plant) are burning peat for electricity on an industrial
scale the amount an amateur gardener uses pales into insignificance.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown