Old 30-04-2012, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Compost from recycling

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 14:11:58 +0200, Martin wrote:

I am all for minimum inputs growing, but this public obsession with all
natural chemicals being somehow "good" and synthetic ones "bad" is a
serious problem. Ricin is perfectly natural and incredibly lethal.

Brand "Organic(TM)" denotes overpackaged and overpriced food for the
worried well to buy in supermarkets.

And so long as the Irish (and now also the Germans after shutting down
their nuclear plant) are burning peat for electricity on an industrial
scale the amount an amateur gardener uses pales into insignificance.

The Germans call it brown coal.

Isn't that mainly Lignite which is between Peat and Black coals in the
process over 1000's of years where plant matter turns into burnable
fuel.
Mined in many countries and both mining and using it brings it's own
environmental issues.
Not really an interchangeable term with Peat, I think Lignite may have
looked at as possibly a component in peat substitutes but it would
need to processed. As it is mined it wouldn't be much more use in a
grow bag than a few shovel fulls of Coalite even if you left in the
air to weather for a while.

G.Harman