Old 30-04-2012, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Compost from recycling

Sacha wrote

In an article in a trade magazine, it was said wtte that an enquiry set
up to find out why using peat is a Bad Thing haven't really found
anything to investigate. I haven't read it myself so I'll get Ray to
find it for me.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I haven't seen the article but I will continue to use peat based composts until I see a comparable alternative and when no power stations are burning peat.
The composted green waste is fine as a soil conditioner (I've just been given about a tonne of the stuff by our neighbour farmer who's getting it from our local authority. But when it's included in potting compost the result is pretty horrible to use and the plants in it are nowwhere near the quality I get with peat based composts.
I only use bought compost for raising young plants, the way to reduce peat use is to not grow large plants in containers if possible - why would anyone who had the choice? It's much harder to grow things well in containers.

Rod