Old 30-04-2012, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Veg assistance please

On 2012-04-30 18:13:11 +0100, Moonraker said:

I try to be self supporting in veg, but always fail. We run out mid
Winter then nothing until early Summer except frozen. Any suggestions
as to which veg can be grown to fill the late Winter and early Spring
months please? I have lost all my Spring cabbages in their early stages
by greedy mice. Any regimes far all year round supplies?

I'm no veg grower but isn't this why people bottled and pickled? *Fresh
veg is so hard to come by in winter months in any liberal sense!
Brussel sprouts? Cabbage? *I'm sure things are available but I think
wide choice is going to be a bit tricky!

And salted and dried. *It wasn't known as the hungry gap for nothing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I will add to my post that has yet to show,
For early spring there is the spinach and Swiss Chard left from last
autumn which will sprout lovely young leaves, the sprouts from the
cabbage stalks which you cut a cross into after cutting the cabbage,
the shoots from any sprouts that didn't get picked and from any left
over cabbage; as good as if not better than sprouting broccoli;
There is always the young nettle shoots, better than spinach if picked
nice and young.
If you plant Spring cabbage about 3 to 4 inches appart then you can
thin them a couple of times as early greens, and if you have a
greenhouse then grow a few in there over winter..
If you can grow some French beans in large pots then early beans,
(they take 12 weeks from sowing to picking).
Otherwise Broad beans, the tops can be cooked as a green veg, and
young pods can be picked and sliced as green beans.
David @ the windy end of Swansea Bay