Old 30-04-2012, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Veg assistance please

On 2012-04-30 18:13:11 +0100, Moonraker said:

I try to be self supporting in veg, but always fail. We run out mid
Winter then nothing until early Summer except frozen. Any suggestions
as to which veg can be grown to fill the late Winter and early Spring
months please? I have lost all my Spring cabbages in their early stages
by greedy mice. Any regimes far all year round supplies?

I'm no veg grower but isn't this why people bottled and pickled? *Fresh
veg is so hard to come by in winter months in any liberal sense!
Brussel sprouts? Cabbage? *I'm sure things are available but I think
wide choice is going to be a bit tricky!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.comwww.hillhousenurseryt earoom.com
South Devon

Well the winter staples were root veg, Parsnips Sweed, Carrots,
beetroot, Potatoes with hardy greens such as Sprouts, Curley Kale,
January King cabbage and hard white cabbage (what we used to call
Dutch Cabbage) which could be cut in late Autumn and clamped like
potatoes.
Also Marrows left till they were ripe then stored would last into late
winter,
Then again peas left to ripen and used as dried peas.
Not to mention as Sacha did the fruit and veg that was bottled.
Where is the problem, other than finding enough room for them all.
David @ the windy end of Swansea Bay