Old 30-04-2012, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Compost from recycling

On Apr 30, 8:46*am, Granity
wrote:
On last night's Country File during the usual green's propaganda piece
(about using peat causing global warming) that we have to endure each
week, they showed a plant for the recycling of garden and kitchen waste,
a laudable enterprise as it turns waste into a usable product and saves
it going into landfill.

But the bags of compost produced were blazoned with the term 'ORGANIC',
what I want to know is, since they can have no idea what went into the
rubbish in the way of say 'chemically fed' or sprayed plants how can
they make that claim?

--
Granity

It is made from shredded garden waste from recycle centres etc not
from agriculture.

The peat thing is ********.
The Russians Fins and Irish burn tens of thousands of tons of peat in
power stations. Garden use is insignificant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peat#In_Russia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peat#In_Ireland