Old 30-04-2012, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bad weekend

In article ,
Pete C wrote:

Like Mogga has said. Heavy clay. Site is at the bottom of a hill. It isn't
'standing' rain water but the water table rising above the surface. Even in
the summer, if you dig down a foot or so, there is the water.

NOT ideal sweetcorn soil, I am afraid. I germinate mine on paper
and sow into paper pots in 50/50 soil and garden compost, but my
soil is 60% sand and only 22% clay. I don't know the soils where
sweetcorn comes from, but I am pretty sure they are well-drained.
It's also fairly resistant to a shortage of water, which generally
goes with a dislike of waterlogging.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.