Old 30-04-2012, 10:35 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
On last night's Country File during the usual green's propaganda piece (about using peat causing global warming) that we have to endure each week, they showed a plant for the recycling of garden and kitchen waste, a laudable enterprise as it turns waste into a usable product and saves it going into landfill.

But the bags of compost produced were blazoned with the term 'ORGANIC', what I want to know is, since they can have no idea what went into the rubbish in the way of say 'chemically fed' or sprayed plants how can they make that claim?
Out of interest, Ive been using this 'green waste' to grow plants semi-commercially for about 5 yrs now. I'm using this not because I'm attached to the 'Save the planet' lobby, I do it purely to get cheap compost. I mix the green waste with my own home made compost (which is mostly peat from old pots) and also fresh BandQ compost. By volume, I use 1/3rd green waste, 1/3 old compost and 1/3 multipurpose to which I add a base fertilizer and sharp sand (1/8" grist). To combat weeds (which are from my old compost only) I then use 'Axit' residual weedkiller and feed with 'miracle grow' monthly.
I'm growing mostly shrubs, climbers and perennials and i find they do very well. My only concerns with the green waste are that whilst chemically its fairly inert, it varies depending on what has been used to make it as to its physical properties and its very important to collect it only after a fairly long dry spell (where I get mine, its stored outside). When I first started using it, I was only mixing it 50/50 with peat but I found that in winter it went quite solid in the pots and lichen became a problem but since ive been using more peat and sharp sand its bee fine.
I wouldnt advise using it for things like lavenders, geraniums or the softer shorter lived perennials but for shrubs etc. its fine.
As I only pay about £1 per 100 litre bag (collected) and given that I use probably 15 cu yds of compost per year, its certainly reduced my compost bill.
I wouldnt call it organic either and youll notice that they are very careful to only call it a soil improver and not a compost. Its certainly totally weed free, as it heats up to a very high temperature during the process. I would think for anyone with a heavy clay based soil, it would be fantastic.
Lannerman.