Old 01-05-2012, 09:08 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
I try to be self supporting in veg, but always fail. We run out mid
Winter then nothing until early Summer except frozen. Any suggestions as
to which veg can be grown to fill the late Winter and early Spring
months please? I have lost all my Spring cabbages in their early stages
by greedy mice. Any regimes far all year round supplies?
Swiss chard is pretty tough, but will only do you for the occasional meal.

Again, if you have cover (cold greenhouse) there are a lot of winter salad crops available, but the main problem is that everything grows so slowly at that time of year, so in practice it doesn't work very well. Not in Yorkshire, anyway.

Jerusalem artichokes can be left in the soil a long time without coming to harm - again, there's a limit as to how many you can eat!

My Jan-March eating from the garden is mainly apples stored since November, and after that we hit the frozen fruit - mulberries and strawberries - and the medlar jelly. Hardly staples! But if I didn't have so much shade from the fruit trees (not to mention next doors grove of mature birches, the other next door's lime, and my own cherries and hollies) I would be able to grow more beans and add them to the deepfreeze.