Old 01-05-2012, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acer has rooted through it's pot!

On 05/01/2012 03:20 PM, Spring12 wrote:
Hi all.
I'm new here and (as you can no doubt tell from the title of this
thread, not exactly an experienced gardener).

I have 2 beautiful Acers's in my garden and planned to re-pot them as
they have grown significantly, but they have actually rooted through the
pots and into the ground.
I am selling my house and don't want to leave them but don't want to
harm them either.

Any advice gratefully accepted.
Many thanks.

Just cut through the roots that connect them to the ground, and take
them with you. Acers respond well to root pruning, so it's not likely
to damage them. Keep them in partial shade this summer and don't let
them dry out too much; but don't overwater or feed either. Next fall
once they've lost their leaves you can bang them in bigger pots. Make
sure the soil is very free draining.

-E