Old 01-05-2012, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Compost from recycling

On Monday, 30 April 2012 18:46:57 UTC+1, Sacha wrote:
I think you and Raymond were separated at birth! One of the arguments
against peat use is gardeners using it as a soil improver. We
certainly don't do that but we do use peat based composts for our
plants and the results are obvious. We have visited nurseries that
won't use peat and have seen some very sickly plants. This is NOT to
say that the results are inevitable but it's amazing how often they
seem to be. When my stepson undertook the job of improving my son's
Jersey garden, he bought (in Jersey) tons of soil improver for pennies
by comparison to peat. It did just the job it said on the tin so
perhaps gardeners could look into finding such material before buying
expensive peat products to do an unnecessary job?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

No, it's just convergent evolution Sacha ;~))
I don't know what's happening with our local authority, they seem to be unloading the green waste compost to our farmer neighbour rather than making the effort of marketing it to the local community. I don't know what the deal is but it's unlikely to be at a financial loss to the farmer. This farmer has had a huge tractor and trailer running back and forth collecting about 8 loads per day since last September (around 16tonnes per load) so it's quite a big pile now at the farm. I've got the offer of more when I want it so this is one very happy gardener.

Rod