Old 02-05-2012, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default I'm tired

Sean Straw wrote:
On Tue, 1 May 2012 10:29:29 -0400, songbird
wrote:

We already have plenty canned. I
am thinking about soy beans and some lentils.

edamame soybeans?

edamame being the Japanese word for 'green soybean'. g

I'd love pointers on how to improve the yeild from mine. I only grew
half a dozen plants of them last year, and when all was said and done,
I got perhaps four cups of dried beans (actual beans, not the pods)
out of the lot.

soybeans or edamame? (they are different varieties)

the regular soybeans i've grown here have done well.
i suspect you might be keeping them too dry and perhaps
they could use an innoculant. from what you've written
before i think you have open skies and plenty of space.
are you in the foggy zone?

the patches i've grown here have yeilded about 5lbs
per 40-60sq ft. full sun, if it doesn't rain enough
i give them some water from the hose. in comparison
to the farm fields around us (that do not get irrigation
but do grow soybeans most alternate years) my soybeans
are twice to three times as tall.

i'm growing an edamame variety this year and doubt
they will yield the same.

I have some mung beans growing, but I've never grown them before
(outside of for sprouts). They're all remaining awfully small -
basically not much larger than a sprout.

how much moisture are they getting?

songbird