Old 02-05-2012, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Primula weirdnesses (cue: RSH)

On May 2, 1:48*pm, Spider wrote:
On 01/05/2012 22:46, wrote:

In ,
*wrote:

Hope you can see this link. *Third pic down on the right shows red
cowslips. *The 'Description' suggests that red cowslips occur naturally,
although rarely.

Yes - that's the one I found. *I am 99% sure that the original form
in my garden was NOT a red cowslip as such, though God alone knows
what it started out as. *There are a few plants I still have that
date from the originals and are probably old varieties that are
almost unknown today. *Nothing of national importance, but I keep
them on because - well, you know.

Incidentally, the red I had wasn't all that attractive, because it
was brownish - the yellow was and is a lot better.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I should have guessed you'd have a good google first.

I can't imagine where the brown colouring comes from. *There are a few
brownish-reds in the auricula group, but that seems an unlikely source
for your intriguing cowslips. *I do agree that the yellow is the better
colour. *They've been a favourite of mine since childhood.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

This makes mt think of what used to be called Ox slips