Old 02-05-2012, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Primula weirdnesses (cue: SRH)

On May 2, 2:53*pm, wrote:
In article ,

Spider wrote:

I should have guessed you'd have a good google first.

Well, I started with my books, and then tried the Web :-)

I can't imagine where the brown colouring comes from. *There are a few
brownish-reds in the auricula group, but that seems an unlikely source
for your intriguing cowslips. *I do agree that the yellow is the better
colour. *They've been a favourite of mine since childhood.

Well, brown is more-or-less an unsaturated form of the orange red
of the cowslips on the Wikipedia page, so I assume that there was
just a bit of chlorophyll or similar in the pigment. *They weren't
brown, but a slightly mucky red - it's a very common colour in day
lilies that are claimed to be red.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

What a shame you don't have any pics