Old 02-05-2012, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Back home to survey damage.

On Wed, 02 May 2012 16:21:04 GMT, Baz wrote:

harry wrote in
:

Well apart from the insurance issue, it makes the place easier to sell
if it has been made flood resistant.

My insurers will I am told give me conditions. Practical solutions to make
the house insurable in the future. More money. Including flood resistance.
Loads of money.
Just going to have to do it!

Baz

You've had a long run of bad luck, Baz and I really do feel for you
and your family.

If your insurers will expect you to spend money "to make the house
insurable in the future", then even if you were going to replace
carpets downstairs, it may well be that the money you planned to spend
on those will need to be diverted to other things so you would need to
put off the planned recarpeting. On that basis, it seems perfectly
reasonable to claim for them.

I've checked my house insurance provisions for temporary accommodation
if the house is unoccupiable and the policy covers a nightly payment
in lieu of hotel costs if I stay with friends or relatives and even
the cost of accommodating pets. So worth checking your policy wording
and, maybe, asking.

There is nothing at all wrong with claiming that to which you are
entitled; after all you have paid the premiums and it's not as if you
would be claiming for any "false" losses or consequential costs.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.