Old 02-05-2012, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fern ID

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
Found in a beech wood, about 10 yards from pavement along its boundary,
this a throwout (the root ball is not connected to the ground proper),
and presumably some form of ornamental fern.

It's the remains of last year fronds. As of today there was no sign of
fresh fronds.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/FernA.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/FernB.JPG

Anyone recognise it?

The trouble is that there are a fair number like that, and I think
that you would need more information for a positive identification.
Unfortunately, that is almost the sum of my knowledge on the topic!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.