Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete[_9_] Pete[_9_] is offline

Default Drought

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
.. .

On Thu, 3 May 2012 11:52:12 +0100 (BST), wrote:

I can't provide figures. I'm just quoting some drought expert I saw on
the TV. He was talking about reservoir catchments and I assume
evaporation over the same area.

Steve

Nick is correct in questioning your initial post and the evaporation
statement therein.
Rainfall loss due to evaporation is just small fraction as compared with
the amount lost
by outfall to the sea.

There was some comic (water board expert guy) on the box last night,
grumbling that a water grid
was to expensive to consider (as compared with gas and leccy) on the grounds
that water was
too heavy in comparison, to move around. Obviously he had not heard of
gravity !

This country is fortunate that most rainfall occurs up in them there hills
and most water needs are
down on the lowlands. It is the newly acquired commercial inertia and
parochial attitude of the water authorities
that is causing this drought status to blight our lives.

Bring on that grid !

Pete

Regards
Pete