Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Camellia woes

"Bertie Doe" wrote

For the last month, the leaves have been losing their deep green lustre.
Flowering seems to be the last straw, as they now appear mottled and
turning yellow. Soil is neutral to acid. Any thoughts? appreciated please.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ck8bzq7

Our large Camellia tree has been suffering for a couple of years, losing all
it's older leaves although still flowering profusely. The leaves on ours all
have the same pattern of brown as they die but it's the opposite pattern to
that disease that is spreading. I took a branch into RHS Wisley and they
said it was not a disease but was due to the recent very dry winters/springs
we have had. Suggested a good watering, it was before this deluge, and a
good fertilizer and thick mulch and to ensure it never dries out in
winter/spring.
Trouble with these plants is it takes ages for them to react and by the time
they do a lot of damage has happened.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.