Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Drought

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 May 2012 00:14:18 +0100, "Christina Websell"

On 2012-05-02 23:15:16 +0100, "Christina Websell"

On 2012-05-01 03:58:41 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:
www.caterpillarrfountain.co.uk
Yes, it will. It always does.

It didn't last year. That's the reason the water levels in
reservoirs
are so low.
--

It will sort itself out, we now have more rain than we need. Stop
panicking

Not quite Christina. We don't have more rain than we need because
groundwater levels are still so low. It sounds absurd when I think of
the
lakes I saw stretching for miles yesterday and the streams we saw
overflowing their banks this morning. I can only assume that the
ground
is dried out to such a depth that the water is running off it rather
than
penetrating it OR it's lying on top of it, unabsorbed, so far.
Officially, we're still in drought.
--
It will turn out OK. Really, it will.
Tina

It might or it might not. Resources are not being 'harvested', many
reservoirs (smaller ones) have been sold off and water companies are not
repairing leaks as they should. But right at this moment people are
worried and understandably so. While you or I or Joe Bloggs may be
concerned for one or two rows of beans and some sprouts, we learned
yesterday of one national garden centre chain which has cancelled their
order for 20 artic lorry loads of compost. Imagine how many tons that
runs into and the financial loss it implies. That is a huge knock on
effect on the suppliers and the hauliers and reflects the current state
of
things. In trade publications it has been written that takings for some
places are way down over the last couple of week ends. All these things
are peoples' jobs, not their hobbies. So concern about water levels is
real worry, not just a few people who can't water their veg plot. One
water company director was quoted as saying that to get water levels
back
to normal in his area, it needs to rain every day from now until
November.
I'm sure others will have much more scientific reasoning than I but it
does make me wonder why we're not at least talking seriously about a
national water grid.
--

One water director was quoted as saying! Could it be because the water
companies are now privatised?

Britain has a changing climate.
--

Martin

Not changed much over the last 70 years as far as I am concerned. I can
remember good and bad right the way through.

Mike