Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weed or not?

On 05/04/2012 10:19 AM, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
[]
It being Geranium lucidum (shining cranesbill).

It's related to geraniums and used as a ground cover plant (to
supressother plants). Very invasive.
But if you don't want it, by definitionit is a weed.

Stace says "Native; bare ground, rocks, walls and stony banks, mostly on
calcareous ground; locally common in most of BI, also garden escape in S
En." ( don't think I've ever seen grown as a garden plant.)

It's commonest along a belt from Cumbria though the Welsh Marches (and
Staffordshire) to south Devon. It's a plant which is increasing its range.

Thanks for the informative post. We also see it in Lower Normandy, it's
taken over a little corner of lawn. Very attractive, so I just let it
do its thing.