Old 04-05-2012, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme[_2_] Stephen Wolstenholme[_2_] is offline

Default Drought

On Thu, 3 May 2012 17:12:42 +0100, "Pete"
wrote:

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
. ..

On Thu, 3 May 2012 11:52:12 +0100 (BST), wrote:

I can't provide figures. I'm just quoting some drought expert I saw on
the TV. He was talking about reservoir catchments and I assume
evaporation over the same area.

Steve

Nick is correct in questioning your initial post and the evaporation
statement therein.
Rainfall loss due to evaporation is just small fraction as compared with
the amount lost
by outfall to the sea.

I was comparing the figures for reservoirs not the sea. Evaporation
over reservoir catchments areas is a significant loss.

Read this for details:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drought...United_Kingdom

One line from the above:-
"UK droughts have similar consequences to other droughts elsewhere in
the world. The first of these is river and reservoir levels begin to
drop as rainfall fails to counteract evaporation."

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com